“Fonds-Préville Habitation” is the old sugar plantation “The Macouba” whose origin is very complex because of the multiplicity of titles. On 5 November 1845, the 2 Préville sisters sold the sugar mill house to Mr Jean-Marie Martin, a merchant at Saint-Pierre.
Mr Jean-Martin made rum and marked each barrels with his initials “JM”. Two letters remained the symbol of quality and worth the rum JM to be considered one of the best rums. August 4, 1914, Mr. Gustave Crassous Médeuil becomes the owner of Housing.
In 2012, the rum JM celebrated its 223rd season cane crop.
- Fond Préville – 97218 Macouba
- t: + 596 596 78 92 55
- Open daily from 7 am to 4:30 pm
- Saturdays from 7 am to 12:30 pm
- Closed on Sundays and holidays
- 4×4 tours available from Monday through Friday.